Thursday, February 25, 2010

First Post Op Appointment

Yesterday Brian drove me to Issaquah for my first, of what I'm sure will be many, post op appointment with my surgeon. I have to admit I was very excited to go to this appointment to see the ex-ray of the work he'd done and I wasn't disappointed with what I saw. It totally amazes me every time I see what has been used inside my body to help correct structural problems that only ten years ago wouldn't have been possible----it's just mind boggling the skill my surgeon has and I'm so thankful for the gifts and talents he's been given AND for the visual I have of how stable my neck looks with all the pretty plates and screws. The picture proves he's done his job well and now it's up to me to be conservative and do all I can to help promote healing. That means I have to be reallllllllly good and be patient with the healing process and not push.

I'm still dealing with nerve pain in my right arm and hand that's pretty painful, caused by the pressure that was placed on the nerves for the past twenty months. Nerve damage can take years to resolve so this pain will be addressed with nerve quieting drugs in the hope that the nerves can rest and heal.

I will be on a very conservative activity level for many months that will increase only after there is evidence of good bone cell growth stabilizing the surgical site. I'll be fitted for an electrical bone stimulation collar in the next two weeks or so to encourage the bone cells that have been implanted to grow; I'm praying for vigorous growth :)

I have a five pound weight limit for lifting and no physical strengthening activities, twisting, jumping, running etc. until further notice. This is where the challenge comes in for me, remembering I'm not as strong as I think I am :) My new mantra is, " no lifting, no physical work, nothing that harms". I'm actually excited about this new life style; sort of a challenge that I know I can step up to and be successful at. Once an athlete, always an athlete, striving for improvement, just as a much lower level now.

I have been cleared for driving on the Island and short distances, passive physical therapy, and I no longer need to wear the stabilizing collar; so good progress in moving forward.

I'm so very thankful for the good progress being made and will continue to keep all in the loop as I progress.

I'm filled with praise and thanksgiving for all the Lord has blessed me with these past twenty months; it's truly been an amazing journey and I have no doubt there will many more praises to come as the journey continues.

God puts each fresh morning, each new chance of life, into our hands as a gift to see what we will do with it.

Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. Hurray for the excellent report and the resolve to patiently heal in God's time. So proud of the work He's doing inside you - both physically and spiritually. Praying for your continued emotional strength as the weather improves so you can enjoy the outdoors more - without breaking your wise restrictions.... Love and blessings, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I am so proud that the Lord God Almighty Healer is working thru prayers and modern technology to heal and stabilize your cervical region. Your letting go and letting God is the key! Go and grow those cells and may those nerve endings relax with the release of the pressure that they have endured. Remember, this may be the hardest athletic feat of your career! Love Sandra T

    ReplyDelete